Fatal Fire

On November 27th, at approximately 11:14 am, CKFR crews were called for a residential structure fire in the Country Lane Mobile Home Park. The call was quickly upgraded to a 2nd alarm fire as the single family mobile home was completely engulfed.  Once the fire was extinguished. crews discovered one, deceased, adult male inside.  The County Fire Marshal and Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office were called to investigate.

  • Update: the cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.

Trash Fire

Around 11:15 am on November 16th, a Waste Management Truck had its load catch on fire. The driver dumped the load behind Ross and CKFR crews were able to quickly extinguish.

Chimney Fire

At 8:30 pm on November 8th, CKFR was called for a chimney fire in a single story home located in the 900 block of NE McWilliams Road, Bremerton. The caller advised that she was the sole occupant and had been sitting in her living room when dark smoke began coming from the chimney pipe of her wood stove. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the stove and then ensured there was no extension to the attic. The chimney cap was packed with soot. It was confirmed the fire was contained to the stove and chimney. Firefighters made sure that the occupant had alternate means of heat, which she did. She was advised to not use the chimney again until it was properly cleaned.

• CKFR would like to remind everyone to maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected each year.

Boat Fire

On November 6th at approximately 12:15 pm, CKFR crews were called to the Seabeck marina for a boat fire.  Upon arrival, the boat was fully engulfed.  The adult male, owner of the boat, was transported to Harrison Bremerton with minor injuries. There had been nobody else on board and no other vessels were affected.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal was called to investigate. Crews pulled over 700 feet of hose to reach the fire. ‬

Attic Fire

CKFR crews responded to a residential structure fire at 8:15 pm on October 12th in the 5300 block of NW Durhea Rd. The fire in attic. There were no injuries and everyone was out safe.  Kitsap County Fire marshal was called to investigate.

Brush Fire – Anderson Landing

At 8:15 am on August 30th, CKFR crews responded to a brush fire at the Anderson Landing Preserve. The fire was approximately 20′ x 20′ and was slow moving involving brush and standing timber on the edge of a ravine in steep terrain.
Thirteen firefighters with specialized Wildland Urban Interface training handled this event and kept this fire from spreading further into the ravine and from threatening nearby residences.
Three Engines, one Ladder Truck, two Tenders, one Utility, and Command extinguished and mopped up this fire with 4,000 gallons of water.

Gas Leak – Silverdale Elementary

CKFR crews responded to an active gas leak at Silverdale Elementary, 9102 Dickey Road, NW, the morning of August 17th.

A construction worker had hit a 2 inch natural gas line during construction. Power was shut off to all buildings as well as the HVAC. Cascade Natural Gas  responded and approximately 30 people sheltered in place in additional buildings, while the mail building was evacuated.

Once the gas was shut off and the area was deemed safe, personnel was allowed back in.

Fire Sprinkler Save

On Friday, June 8,, 2018, at approximately 6:35 am, Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue received a call in reference to a structure fire in the Griffin Glen Apartments on Mariah Lane in Bremerton. The call was quickly upgraded to a second alarm.

Upon arrival at the multi-unit, two story, apartment building, crews determined the fire had been knocked down by the buildings sprinkler system.  Checks were conducted to ensure nobody remained inside and that there was no extension of the fire into the attic of the building.

The fire had started in a bedroom of the second floor unit. There was fire, smoke, and water damage throughout and two adults were displaced.  The unit underneath suffered considerable water damage and seven adults were displaced.

A Bremerton Fire Marshal on his way to work heard the call and arrived to assist crews.  He helped with the occupants needs and assisted the County Fire Marshal when she arrived on scene.

The cause appears to be electrical, but is still under investigation.

The Bremerton Fire Department and Navy Region Northwest Fire also responded.

Red Cross was called to assist the occupants of both units.

  • Working smoke alarms save lives! Test alarms monthly, and replace batteries twice a year unless they have a ten year lithium battery. 

Kitchen Fire Extinguished Quickly

At 12:30 this afternoon, Central Kitsap Fire and Rescue received a call of a residential kitchen fire in the 500 block of Peter Hagen Road NW, Bremerton.

While en route crews learned that the home’s occupants had evacuated, but a neighbor had gone back inside in an attempt to extinguish the fire.

Upon arrival light smoke was showing and all occupants, including the neighbor, were out.

The fire had started on the stove with extension to the ceiling and was making its way out of one of the vents on the front of the house. Firefighters were able to extinguish it quickly and checked for hot spots.

The fire damage was contained to the kitchen, but there is smoke damage throughout the home.

Crews from the Bremerton Fire Department also responded.

GET OUT AND STAY OUT!
Fire and smoke spread so quickly that when your smoke alarms sound, get out immediately and call 9-1-1 from OUTSIDE. NEVER re-enter a burning building.