Wildfire Preparation and Mitigation
Here are some helpful tips to consider as you prepare your property for wildland fire season.
- Community Connect: Our Community Connect platform allows homeowners to provide vital information to our first responders. The information you provide through this portal is uploaded to emergency personnel when you call 911, and is used to better serve your family and property.
- Access: First, provide and maintain good access to your home and/or shop for allowing firefighting vehicles the ability to get onto your property as well as be able to turn around and leave. Firefighters and apparatus cannot go into areas where there are no access options.
- Address: Firefighters also need to be able to locate your property. Have your address posted on your driveway entrance as well as your house.
- Create a Barrier: Creating a “fire barrier” to homes and outbuildings is critical. Some simple tips to protect structures are as follows:
- Maintain a 30-foot defensible space around your home.
- Keep lawns well-watered.
- Prune or remove combustible trees or shrubs that are too close to your home.
- Clean gutters and roofs of any debris regularly.
- Screen off crawl spaces, attics and decks to keep them free of debris, as well as any flying embers.
- Do NOT store combustibles, such as wood piles, under your deck or near your home.
CKFR’s Personal Wildfire Action Plan:
Defensible Space Guide: