Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • When you have a fire or medical emergency.
  • There is a situation that could, or does, pose a danger to life, property or both.

Stay as calm as possible and let the firefighter/dispatcher ask the questions:

  • Let them lead the conversation and answer their questions.
  • The questions may seem unrelated or repetitive, but this is to help clarify the information.
  • Do your best to listen carefully and follow their instructions.

Burn permits can be obtained online at or by contacting the CKFR Administration Office during regular business hours.

CKFR Administrative Office
5300 NW Newberry Hill Rd, Suite #101

Silverdale, WA 98383
(360) 447-3550

The Kitsap County Department of Community Development now has blue address signs available for purchase. Visit Blue Address Sign Request (

When firefighters respond to a medical emergency, like a car accident, both medic units and fire engines are dispatched so that there is the proper amount of manpower on scene. All CKFR firefighters are also cross trained as emergency medical technicians (EMTs). Crews may need to extricate the occupants of the vehicles involved, provide medical care, control traffic, etc.

Yes. State law allows fire districts to establish and collect reasonable charges for emergency medical services to reimburse the district for its cost of providing those services. The revenue we receive from billing helps offset the costs of staffing and stocking our EMS units which exceed what the district receives from the EMS levy. The district bills any available insurance for ambulance transports first. Patients may receive a bill for their portion of the co-pay which varies by insurance plan.

For a basic life support call (BLS) the district’s rate is $639 per call plus $18 per mile. If the patient requires advanced life support (ALS), the rate is $814 or $930 depending on the complexity of the call plus $18 per mile.

CKFR will provide pre-hospital care and other emergency services to all persons without regard for their ability to pay. The district has established a comprehensive Financial Assistance Policy where patients that meet certain income criteria may be eligible to have the balance of their ambulance transport bills waived. More information about the Financial Assistance Policy can be found on our website.

We’d love to hear from you. For specific questions about your bill, please call (800) 238-9398 or log on to the EMS Patient Portal.

Yes, CKFR allows members of the community and students 16 years of age and older to participate in a ride-along program with on-duty emergency crews. Please see our ride-along page for more information.

CKFR firefighters work 24-hour shifts and buy their own meals. They drive the engine, medic units and other apparatus when they grocery shop because they are still responding to emergency calls. Many times crews have to leave in the middle of shopping and return to finish after a call.

Please contact the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office for all inspection questions at (360) 337-5777.

Visit the Kitsap County Department of Community Development’s Fireworks page or call (360) 337-5777.

CKFR does use vacant structures to conduct training. From single-family residences to large commercial structures, these buildings provide excellent training opportunities for firefighters. Please contact the CKFR Operations at (360) 447-3550.

CKFR has a certified technician to provide car-seat checkups. Call the main office at (360) 447-3550 to set up an appointment.

Contact the recycling company below to ask about recycling your specific item. Verify accepted items, hours, and fees. 

Or bring fire extinguishers to the Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste Facility for free disposal.  Visit the facility website for hours and more information.

Kitsap County Household Hazardous Waste Collection Facility
5551 SW Imperial Way Bremerton, WA 98312


Peninsula Fire Safety Supply
371 NW Lindvig Way #107, Poulsbo, WA 98370