Update: Olympic View House Fire on December 3rd

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal has determine the fire was caused by a failed flu pip. Cracks in the horizontal pipe of the wood stove led to fire spreading within the walls and eventually through the wall into the living room. (original press release posted below)

Photos of pipe are attached, courtesy of the Kitsap County Fire Marshal’s Office

– Over time the soot in your chimney is refined by heat and becomes an extremely flammable material called creosote. What most people don’t realize is the creosote in their chimney is flammable and all it takes is a tiny spark or ember to ignite the creosote and start a chimney fire, where the actual walls of your chimney flue are on fire. Chimney fires burn at over 2,000 degrees and can easily spread to the rest of your house.

– You need a chimney sweep to remove the creosote from your chimney flue. Chimneys and pipes like the ones on wood stoves are designed for smoke to pass through at relatively low temperatures; they are not built to withstand chimney fires.

Homeowner Escapes Fire By Jumping from Roof

A Central Kitsap man is safe after jumping from his roof to escape an early morning house fire. At approximately 2:16 am, Central Kitsap Fire & Rescue was dispatched to the 16000 block of Olympic View Road NW in Silverdale.

The first 911 caller was a neighbor reporting the house fire. A second call into dispatch was from the homeowner himself who stated he had made it onto his roof and was going to jump. Once he did, he informed dispatchers that he was uninjured.

Crews arrived and observed the two story, single family home was fully involved. The fire was upgraded to a 2nd alarm, dispatching additional resources to the scene. As crews fought the fire, the homeowner was checked by medical and confirmed to be uninjured.

The fire was under control at 2:51 am. The homeowner reported his smoke alarms woke him up, he checked the hallway and found fire and was forced to escape through his bathroom window onto the roof.

The County Fire Marshal was dispatched to investigate the cause and the homeowner will stay with family.

Crews remain on scene to check for, and extinguish, any hotspots.

Mutual aid was provided by the Navy Region Northwest and the Poulsbo Fire Department.