Fire at Local Grocer

CKFR crews responded to report of fire at Hank’s Grocery on Chico Way on December 18th, at 11:55 p.m. Crews arrived to light smoke coming from the front of the building. The fire was contained to a small office area. No injuries were reported. Crews from CKFR and Navy Region Northwest assisted with the incident.

Vehicle Fire on 303

At approximately 1:45 pm, on December 10th, CKFR responded to a vehicle fire in the Southbound Lanes of 303 near the Bremerton Walmart. The vehicle on fire was a small Class B RV and is a total loss.  The driver was out of the vehicle and was not injured, there were no other occupants.  The driver stated it had started smoking as he was driving so he pulled over.

While CKFR crews were on scene, a minor car accident, with no injuries, occurred as drivers passing the scene were looking at the vehicle fire and not the road in front of them.

*Please slow down and pay attention to your surroundings and other vehicles for the safety of all of us!

Fatal Fire

On November 27th, at approximately 11:14 am, CKFR crews were called for a residential structure fire in the Country Lane Mobile Home Park. The call was quickly upgraded to a 2nd alarm fire as the single family mobile home was completely engulfed.  Once the fire was extinguished. crews discovered one, deceased, adult male inside.  The County Fire Marshal and Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office were called to investigate.

  • Update: the cause of the fire was improperly discarded smoking materials.

Wounded Bremerton veteran becomes a firefighter


To view the KING5 article in full, click here.

Trash Fire

Around 11:15 am on November 16th, a Waste Management Truck had its load catch on fire. The driver dumped the load behind Ross and CKFR crews were able to quickly extinguish.

Chimney Fire

At 8:30 pm on November 8th, CKFR was called for a chimney fire in a single story home located in the 900 block of NE McWilliams Road, Bremerton. The caller advised that she was the sole occupant and had been sitting in her living room when dark smoke began coming from the chimney pipe of her wood stove. Firefighters extinguished the fire in the stove and then ensured there was no extension to the attic. The chimney cap was packed with soot. It was confirmed the fire was contained to the stove and chimney. Firefighters made sure that the occupant had alternate means of heat, which she did. She was advised to not use the chimney again until it was properly cleaned.

• CKFR would like to remind everyone to maintain heating equipment and chimneys by having them cleaned and inspected each year.

Boat Fire

On November 6th at approximately 12:15 pm, CKFR crews were called to the Seabeck marina for a boat fire.  Upon arrival, the boat was fully engulfed.  The adult male, owner of the boat, was transported to Harrison Bremerton with minor injuries. There had been nobody else on board and no other vessels were affected.

The Kitsap County Fire Marshal was called to investigate. Crews pulled over 700 feet of hose to reach the fire. ‬

Attic Fire

CKFR crews responded to a residential structure fire at 8:15 pm on October 12th in the 5300 block of NW Durhea Rd. The fire in attic. There were no injuries and everyone was out safe.  Kitsap County Fire marshal was called to investigate.

Brush Fire – Anderson Landing

At 8:15 am on August 30th, CKFR crews responded to a brush fire at the Anderson Landing Preserve. The fire was approximately 20′ x 20′ and was slow moving involving brush and standing timber on the edge of a ravine in steep terrain.
Thirteen firefighters with specialized Wildland Urban Interface training handled this event and kept this fire from spreading further into the ravine and from threatening nearby residences.
Three Engines, one Ladder Truck, two Tenders, one Utility, and Command extinguished and mopped up this fire with 4,000 gallons of water.

Gas Leak – Silverdale Elementary

CKFR crews responded to an active gas leak at Silverdale Elementary, 9102 Dickey Road, NW, the morning of August 17th.

A construction worker had hit a 2 inch natural gas line during construction. Power was shut off to all buildings as well as the HVAC. Cascade Natural Gas  responded and approximately 30 people sheltered in place in additional buildings, while the mail building was evacuated.

Once the gas was shut off and the area was deemed safe, personnel was allowed back in.