kitchen fire

  • Watchful Eyes!
  • Keep Lid Nearby
  • Keep Fire Extinguisher Nearby
  • Avoid Loose Fitting, Long Sleeves
  • Turn Pan Handles Inward
  • Keep Stove & Oven Clean
  • Place Towels, Rags, Food Wrappers away from the Stovetop
  • Watch Small Children



Combine Ingredients

  • Stay in the kitchen especially when cooking on the stovetop. Most cooking fires result when cooking is left unattended. Turn pot and pan handles inward so you don’t bump them and kids aren’t likely to knock them over or pull them down.
  • If a grease fire starts, cover the pan with a lid to smother the flames and then turn off the burner. Never pour water on a grease fire! Water will only spread the fire and the force of a fire extinguisher may send flaming grease out of the pan. Leave the pan on the stove. Moving the pan may result in severe burns when the hot grease spills.

Mix Well

  • Wear short or close fitting sleeves when cooking. Keep towels, rags, pot holders and all flammable materials away from the stovetop. They can catch fire if too close to the heat.
  • Watch small children and pets when they are in the kitchen and keep them away from the stove.

06Dec_SafeCooking1Bake-Cook Carefully

  • Clean up grease and spills regularly.
  • Keep a fire extinguisher mounted nearby in the event of a small fire caused by electrical appliances and ordinary combustibles. Evacuate your home and call 911 in the event of any fire.