Bedroom Fire In Island Lake Community

At 9:40 pm last night, November 23rd, CKFR responded to a call for a structure fire in the 13000 block of Lakeridge Circle NW. Initial reports stated the fire was in a bedroom, occupants were evacuated, and everyone was out of the house.

On arrival, crews observed heavy smoke coming from the structure, a two story duplex. Fire was found on the second floor and firefighters were able to quickly get it under control and contained to a room and contents.

There were no injuries and two cats were rescued by the crew. Information from the homeowner indicates the fire may have been started by a candle. The Kitsap County Fire Marshal is investigating.
Poulsbo Fire Department and Navy Region Northwest provided mutual aid.

We highly encourage the use of flameless candles in your home, but if you choose real candles, please remember the following:
* Blow out all candles when you leave the room or go to bed.
* Avoid the use of candles in the bedroom and other areas where people may fall asleep.
* Keep candles at least 1 foot away from anything that can burn.